At least 18 worshippers killed in Kabul shrine attack

KABUL – Islamic State on Wednesday claimed responsibility for a mass shooting that killed at least 18 worshippers at a shrine in the Afghan capital, raising fears of sectarian violence after a string of attacks on the country’s Shi’ite minority.

The claim to Tuesday’s attack, released online, came as the community observed Ashura, one of its holiest days, although commemorations have been subdued because of security fears.

On Wednesday afternoon, an explosion outside a mosque in northern Afghanistan killed at least 14 people and wounded 24 at a similar gathering. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for that assault.

Islamic State had earlier targeted members of Kabul’s Shi’ite community in a suicide bombing in July that killed more than 80 people and wounded 130.

The attacker in Kabul, said to be wearing a police uniform, entered the Karte Shakhi mosque on Tuesday night and opened fire on a crowd of Shi’ite Muslims marking Ashura, which commemorates the seventh-century death of a grandson of the prophet Mohammad.

In its statement, Islamic State said the attacker detonated a suicide vest after firing all his ammunition, but security forces said they shot the man.

A Reuters video shows the suspected attacker’s body intact, with no sign of an explosive vest.

Relatives carried dead and wounded victims away from the blood-stained steps of the mosque, which is known for its bright blue tiles and domes.

The dead included four women and two children, said the United Nations, which condemned the attack as a violation of international law.

“This attack, deliberately targeting a large group of civilians exercising their right to freely manifest their religion in worship, observance and practice, is an atrocity,” the U.N. said in a statement.

It put the tally at 18 civilians killed and 50 wounded, though some witnesses said the toll could be higher.

Mourners buried several of the victims, including a four-year-old girl, on Wednesday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

x

Check Also

گوجرانوالہ پولیس نےبغیراجازت عوامی مقامات پر ویڈیوز بناکر خواتین کرہراساں کرنے کے الزام میں ایک یوٹیوبر کو گرفتار کرلیا۔ ملزم مذاق کے نام پر خواتین کو مختلف باتوں پر ہراساں کرتا تھا اور گزشتہ کئی دنوں سے سوشل میڈیا پر اس پر خوب تنقید کی جارہی تھی اور پولیس سے ایکشن لینے کا مطالبہ کیا جارہا تھا۔ ملزم پر خواتین سے غیراخلاقی حرکات ، اسلحہ کے زورپرگالم گلوچ کرنے کے الزام میں مقدمہ درج کرلیاگیا ہے۔ گوجرانوالہ پولیس نے لاہور کے علاقے محمود بوٹی میں کارروائی کرکے ملزم محمد علی کو گرفتار کرلیا۔ ملزم گکھڑ منڈی کا رہائشی ہے جس نے سوشل میڈیاپر اپنا چینل بنارکھا ہے ۔ ایس پی صدر عبدالوہاب کےمطابق ملزم مزاحیہ ویڈیوز کے ذریعے شہرت حاصل کرنے کے لیے مختلف عوامی مقامات اور پارکس میں بیٹھی خواتین کو ہراساں کرکے ان کی تذلیل کرتا اور ویڈیو سوشل میڈیا پر اپ لوڈ کردیتا تھا۔ پولیس نے ملزم کے خلاف مقامی شہری کی مدعیت میں مقدمہ درج کرکے کارروائی شروع کردی ہے۔

مزاحیہ ویڈیو کے نام پر خواتین کو ہراساں کرنے والا یوٹیوبر گرفتار

گوجرانوالہ پولیس نےبغیراجازت عوامی مقامات پر ویڈیوز بناکر خواتین کرہراساں کرنے کے الزام میں ایک ...

%d bloggers like this: